Seven beaches of Gaeta
To be precise we want to talk about the coast that goes from Gaeta to Sperlonga, 10 Km that we believe are among the most beautiful in all of our peninsula, worthy of being preserved from speculation becoming a natural park or protected marine reserve.
Beach of S. Agostino
The bay of Sant ‘Agostino, is renowned among the climbers who practice free climbing on one of the rocky walls of Monte Moneta (359 m). The huge wall dominates the Piana di S. Agostino with its legendary red cliffs reopened to climbing (excluding the peregrine falcon nesting period, from February 25th to April 15th during which climbing is forbidden in all the paretone).
Beach of S.Vito
It is located immediately after the private bay of the Grand Hotel Le Rocce and the homonymous tower on the promontory. Here it is still possible to swim in clear waters, explore sea caves and isolated coves, relax in the sun of the exclusive beach reserved for guests. The ideal backdrop for swimming and diving slowly degrades, and the sea in front is often the destination of sailing ships that come to find refuge in this corner of paradise. Equipped beach, beach volleyball, entertainment and games.
Beach of Arenauta
Many naturists from Rome and Lazio know the Arenauta beach in Gaeta and the Scissure coast, in the bay between Monte a Mare and Torre Scissure just north of the Ariana beach. From the Litoranea road it is not visible because it is protected by the steep rock. The sand is fine and golden and the transparent water makes this place a true piece of paradise. It was one of the first naturist beaches of Lazio, in the second half of the seventies, when it could only be reached from the sea or through impassable lanes. There were no factories or equipped facilities, and arriving from the sea you had the impression of being in a small corner of paradise.
Beach of Ariana
Binomial of the ancient local language: ARIA – SANA and repeatedly recognized as a Blue Flag in recent years, it is characterized by thin sands, a crystalline sea, promiscuity with the Mediterranean scrub, and the so-called “three-dog reefs”.
The Ariana Beach is more distant from the urban center, exactly along the coastal road (S.S. 213 Via Flacca). It has golden sand, and is ideal for a quiet day, close to the hills it is always sheltered from the wind. Very busy, and subject to crowding in the summer being very small.
Beach of 40 Remi
On the stretch of coast between the beach of Fontania and the cove preceding the beach of the Forty Remi is the Pozzo del Diavolo, which in Gaeta is known as Pozzo delle Chiavi, which suddenly opens into the rock and after a 50 meter jump sinks into the sea.
Beach of Fontania
Choice in antiquity for its marvelous position as home of the consul of ancient Rome Gneo Fonteo. The small beach of Fontania, on the southern coast of the city of Gaeta, just north-west after the beach of Serapo (reachable on foot or swimming), still preserves the remains of a magnificent Roman villa of the 1st century AD Behind the sandy inlet are multiple caves with barrel-vaulted rooms. Two large caves with a single entrance are located on the eastern side.
Beach of Serapo
Beach of fine sand, also called simply Serapo. It is the main beach of the municipality of Gaeta, not far from the city center and from the medieval village on the slopes of the Natural Park of Monte Orlando. It is very popular with both Italian and foreign tourists attracted by its fine golden sand.
The Borgo Elena
The Borgo developed in the vicinity of the castle of Gaeta over the centuries, as a place of residence and work for the population, active in the work of the land and the sea. The Borgo di Gaeta, separating from the area of Sant’Erasmo, in 1897, became an autonomous municipality, and took the name of Comune di Elena in honor of the then Princess Elena, future queen of Italy. In 1927, after a division of thirty years, the Municipalities of Gaeta and Elena were united again under the name Gaeta.
Starting from the Prima Porta, the first access road by land to the Piazzaforte of Gaeta, continue on Lungomare Caboto and after a few hundred meters, on the right we find the Second Gate known as Porta di Carlo V. Continuing to walk along the seafront you can visit the Church of the Annunciation (1321). From the Lungomare you can admire the remarkable view of the neo-gothic Church of San Francesco, the Angevin – Aragonese Castle and passing, at the end of the Lungomare, Piazza G. Caboto, located in the corner of Piazza Traniello with a facade on Via Duomo, you will meet the Church of S. Maria della Sorresca. Continuing along Via Duomo you will find the imposing Palazzo De Vio with an adjoining Diocesan Museum dating back to 1903. Once you pass the building you will immediately reach the Cathedral of St. Erasmus. On the right side of the Duomo, towards the transept, there is access to the monumental Campanile dei secc. XII and XIII. Arriving on the small harbor in front of the Scuola della Guardia Di Finanza you can admire the Church of S. Giovanni a Mare. Continuing along via Pio IX, we come to Via Aragonese and thus reach the castle, which dominates the entire medieval center while the opposite rocky slope descends precipitously over the sea. Continuing along via Angioina you reach the neo-gothic church of S. Francesco. From Via Angioina, continue along Via della Breccia, meeting immediately on the left the church of S. Michele Arcangelo. Continuing along Via della Breccia it is possible, through the hairpin bends of the northern slope, to enter the green Monte Orlando (and continue with the Montagna Spaccata and Parco itinerary), alternatively end the visit (or continue with the Borgo Elena itinerary ).
Split Mountain and Monte Orlando Park
Arrived in Gaeta by car or by bus you cannot miss the Sanctuary of the Split Mountain, a name linked to three vertical cracks that legend has it was produced by the earthquake that occurred at the death of Christ. The visit to the Sanctuary includes: the Montagna Spaccata, the Via Crucis of 1849, the chapel of San Filippo Neri, the chapel of the Crucifix, the Grotta del Turco and finally the Church of the Santissima Trinità.
The illuminations of Gaeta
Every year from the beginning of November to the middle of January, Gaeta lights up with its splendid lights scattered throughout the city.
Lying right in the middle of the Gulf of Gaeta, Formia has origins that are lost in the myth and are linked to the legend of Troy and to Ulysses’ wandering on the way back. All the mythical tradition recalls this area as the land of the Lestrigoni, rough and primitive peoples, and the ships of Ulysses landed in the city of these cannibal giants and from which only his was able to save himself. Formia was a very popular tourist resort in Roman times as evidenced by the numerous remains of villas, among which were those of Mamurra and Mecenate. On this stretch of the gulf came to realize one of his favorite country houses, also Cicero. Just in Formia Cicero died from Antonio’s assassins in December 43 BC while trying to escape the proscriptions. With the fall of the Western Roman Empire Formia was robbed and its inhabitants after the fall of the barbarians and the Greek-Gothic war, fled to the nearby hills, depopulated the town and then dividing into two nuclei, which later became the suburbs of Gaeta: the one maritime of Mola di Gaeta, which took its name from the mills that were in activity, near which a fortalice was erected by Charles II of Anjou at the end of the XIII century and, in the hilly area that of Castellone. The name Castellone derives from the castle (Castel Leone, Castel Lione and finally Castellone) built by Onorato I Caetani, count of Fondi, around the second half of the fourteenth century. Gardens with rich citrus groves have separated the two districts for centuries, as shown by corographic maps of the 16th and 18th centuries. The municipality was established in 1862, thanks to the merger of the villages of Castellone and Mola di Gaeta as well as the hamlet Maranola.
The city of Minturnae rose along the route of the Appian Way, near the Garigliano river. Its origins date back to an Ausonian center, belonging to the Pentapoli Aurunca. A particular cult was in force for the nymph Marica (divinity) – “the goddess of water that shines in the sunlight”, but also the goddess “who destroys, rages, consumes, dries up” – in honor of which it was erected, near the end of the century. VI BC, a temple in tuff, which was then restored in masonry at the end of the I century by the Romans. Defeated the Aurunco people in 314 BC during the second Samnite war, the Romans completely destroyed the cities of Pentapolis. Minutrni was re-founded as a Roman colony in 295 BC and to its ager belonged the area between the Monti Aurunci and the Tyrrhenian, comprising a residential area on the coast of present-day Scauri (formerly Pirae), with extensive villae maritimae, and an agricultural and productive area, along the river and on the hills, where there were several villae rusticae or farms. As said near the mouth of the Garigliano rose the sacred wood of the goddess Marica. In the marshes of the ancient Minturno, the consul Caio Mario, heeled by the men of rival Silla, found refuge in 88 BC. Local magistrates ordered his killing at the hands of a Cimbrian slave. The condottiere managed to escape death after intimidating the Germanic. The city was probably destroyed by the Lombards between 580 and 590.